The HNC programme in Construction and the Built Environment
BTEC is one of the world’s most recognised applied learning brands, engaging students in practical, interpersonal and thinking skills, for more than thirty years.
BTECs are work-related qualifications for students taking their first steps into employment, or for those already in employment and seeking career development opportunities. BTECs provide progression into the workplace either directly or via study at university and are also designed to meet employer’s needs. Therefore, Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications are widely recognised by industry and higher education as the principal vocational qualification at Levels 4 & 5.
There is now a greater emphasis on employer engagement and work readiness. The new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Construction and The Built Environment are designed to reflect this increasing need for high quality professional and technical education pathways at Levels 4 and 5, thereby providing students with a clear line of sight to employment and to progression to a degree at Level 6.
Why choose Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals?
Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals are designed to help students secure the knowledge skills and behaviours needed to succeed in the workplace. They represent the latest in professional standards and provide opportunities for students to develop behaviours for work, for example by undertaking a group project, or responding to a client brief. A student may even achieve exemption from professional or vendor qualifications, or student membership of selected professional bodies, to help them on their journey to professional competence.
At the same time the BTEC Higher Nationals are intended to keep doors open for future study should a student wish to progress further in their education after their level 5 study. They do this by allowing space for the development of higher education study skills, such as the ability to research. Clear alignment of level of demand with the Framework for Higher Education qualification descriptors at level 4 and 5 means that students wishing to progress to level 6 study should feel better prepared. The BTEC Higher Nationals address these various requirements by providing:
- A range of general and specialist units, each with a clear purpose, there is something to suit each student’s choice of programme and future progression plans.
- Content that is closely aligned with the needs of employers, Professional Bodies and higher education for a skilled future workforce.
- Learning outcomes mapped against Professional Body standards and accreditation requirements.
- Assessments and projects chosen to help students progress to the next stage.
- Levels 4 and 5 are aligned with the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ).
- Support for student and tutors including Schemes of Work and Example Assessment Briefs
Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications in Construction and The Built Environment offer:
- A stimulating and challenging programme of study that will be both engaging and memorable for students.
- The essential subject knowledge that students need to progress successfully into further study and the world of work.
- A simplified structure: students undertake a substantial core of learning in the Higher National Certificate and can build on this in the Higher National Diploma, with optional units linked to their specialist area of study.
- Five specialist pathways in the Level 5 Diploma, so there is something to suit each student’s preference of study and future progression plans.
- Refreshed content that is closely aligned with Professional Body, vendor, employer and higher education needs.
- Assessments that consider cognitive skills (what students know) along with effective and applied skills (respectively how they behave and what they can do)
- Unit-specific grading.
- Pearson-set assignments.
- A diverse approach to assessment that supports progression to Level 6 accommodating and enhancing different learning styles.
- A qualification designed to meet the needs and expectations of students aspiring to work in an international business environment.
This qualification has been developed to meet the requirements of the following Professional Bodies:
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating and Engineers
Enrolment is subject to an initial eligibility interview: interviews will be carried out remotely within 10 working days of payment.
- All learners are required to complete a Skills4Stem registration form within 20 days, to enable completion of their registration with the awarding body.
- The price includes Pearson registration fee for one chosen pathway.
- Learners are registered for 12 months, there is a £100 registration renewal fee for every further 12 months until the programme is completed.